LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - While you're at the beach or pool having fun and trying to stay cool, lifeguards are there to make sure you stay safe.
Sunday was a day to show appreciation for the work they do. It was Love Your Lifeguard Day.
Activites were held at three different pools around La Crosse. People could play games like water balloon tossing and dressing up like lifeguards.
The main reason for the celebration? To say thanks. "I get some parents that are 'oh thank you'. And after swimming lessons 'oh thank you'. You never know when they're going to need these skills. Hopefully if you're out on the river or somewhere, everyone should know how to swim.," said lifeguard Hannah Tilson.
The swimming pools in La Crosse are staying open a week later than they did last year. That's due to the high demand to keep them open.
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local bar burglarized
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area billion dollar company plans for joint venture