LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - While you're at the beach or pool having fun and trying to stay cool, lifeguards are there to make sure you stay safe.
Sunday was a day to show appreciation for the work they do. It was Love Your Lifeguard Day.
Activites were held at three different pools around La Crosse. People could play games like water balloon tossing and dressing up like lifeguards.
The main reason for the celebration? To say thanks. "I get some parents that are 'oh thank you'. And after swimming lessons 'oh thank you'. You never know when they're going to need these skills. Hopefully if you're out on the river or somewhere, everyone should know how to swim.," said lifeguard Hannah Tilson.
The swimming pools in La Crosse are staying open a week later than they did last year. That's due to the high demand to keep them open.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Former Packer talks leadership, teamwork at Boy Scouts fundraiser
- Interfaith panel promotes understanding
- 'Spudmobile' makes stop at La Crosse schools
- La Crescent leaders hear ideas for downtown development
- Businesses gather for discussion on possible new tax
- Students learn robotics at Trane in La Crosse