LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - While you're at the beach or pool having fun and trying to stay cool, lifeguards are there to make sure you stay safe.
Sunday was a day to show appreciation for the work they do. It was Love Your Lifeguard Day.
Activites were held at three different pools around La Crosse. People could play games like water balloon tossing and dressing up like lifeguards.
The main reason for the celebration? To say thanks. "I get some parents that are 'oh thank you'. And after swimming lessons 'oh thank you'. You never know when they're going to need these skills. Hopefully if you're out on the river or somewhere, everyone should know how to swim.," said lifeguard Hannah Tilson.
The swimming pools in La Crosse are staying open a week later than they did last year. That's due to the high demand to keep them open.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable