LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The future of a prime piece of land in downtown La Crosse is closer to being decided and a well-known businessman may be the one to develop it.
A county committee has recommended to sell what is known as "lot c" across from the courthouse to Don Weber and his development company "Weber Holdings."
Out of three proposals Weber's stood out.
Weber plans to build an apartment building with retail on the ground floor and parking beneath it.
The committee based their decision on how ready developers were to build and what it means for the local job market.
"They discussed the idea of the company that LHI used to be I guess or LHI was looking to expand and increase jobs by about 500," said La Crosse county board member Joe Veenstra.
The deal isn't done yet as an executive committee will consider the recommendation August 6th.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather