LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The future of a prime piece of land in downtown La Crosse is closer to being decided and a well-known businessman may be the one to develop it.
A county committee has recommended to sell what is known as "lot c" across from the courthouse to Don Weber and his development company "Weber Holdings."
Out of three proposals Weber's stood out.
Weber plans to build an apartment building with retail on the ground floor and parking beneath it.
The committee based their decision on how ready developers were to build and what it means for the local job market.
"They discussed the idea of the company that LHI used to be I guess or LHI was looking to expand and increase jobs by about 500," said La Crosse county board member Joe Veenstra.
The deal isn't done yet as an executive committee will consider the recommendation August 6th.
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests