LA CROSSE, WI - Students in La Crosse continue to out perform the nation on a college entry exam.
The district averaged 22.8 on the ACT out of a possible 36 points. That's almost a full point higher than the state average of 22.1 and nearly two better than the national average of 20.9.
Wisconsin tied for second best scores with Iowa. Minnesota topped the list.
Administrators say students are so successful because of a supportive community and a rigorous curriculum.21573466
"We really do try to focus on creating awareness for students about career and workpalce readiness post-high school and that's starting earlier and earlier, it's not just a high school emphasis anymore, it's leaking down into the middle schools," said Associate Superintendent Troy Harcey.
Other districts are also having success. Onalaska students averaged 22.5. It was 22.7 in Holmen and West Salem.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US