LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - At their Tuesday morning school assembly, students at Hamilton/SOTA I Elementary performed a new "Imagine Compassion" song.
Karla Wakeen wrote the song as a way of connecting the school's "imagine" theme with the School District of La Crosse's Compassion Project.
"How does that apply to our lives and how can kids feel like they're part of that?" Wakeen wondered when writing the song. "I personally believe that music has the power to change the world. I really do believe that, so I was thinking if they could sing a song and it would mean something to them, then they could express this and it would be a gift for their parents."
When she first introduced the song to her students, some of the kids liked it right away, but some thought it was kinda sappy.
"And it is and I understand that, but that's okay," Wakeen said. "The best was when we had our winter concerts and the whole school was singing it together and then I think they had the experience I was hoping they'd have: that by being part of something that big, they felt it more than they would just feel in the classroom."
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser