LA CROSSE, Wis. - Fifth grade students at Southern Bluffs Elementary School took part in the 15th Annual, "Salute to Veterans" concert Friday morning.
During the event, which also took place Thursday night, students also performed several patriotic songs. During the event, students performed several patriotic songs and read variety of short statements and letters that students prepared in class thanking veterans for their service.
After the concert, members from the school's scouting troops raised the American Flag. The American Legion Color Guard also did a 21 gun salute.
"Each year we hear that in preparing for this event our students learn about relatives and family friends that have served and sacrificed, stories they had never heard before," said Southern Bluffs Principal Lisa Schreiner. "Our hope is that students take away from this a real knowledge of what it means to serve and how much is done to protect us."17350392
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers