LA CROSSE, Wis. - Fifth grade students at Southern Bluffs Elementary School took part in the 15th Annual, "Salute to Veterans" concert Friday morning.
During the event, which also took place Thursday night, students also performed several patriotic songs. During the event, students performed several patriotic songs and read variety of short statements and letters that students prepared in class thanking veterans for their service.
After the concert, members from the school's scouting troops raised the American Flag. The American Legion Color Guard also did a 21 gun salute.
"Each year we hear that in preparing for this event our students learn about relatives and family friends that have served and sacrificed, stories they had never heard before," said Southern Bluffs Principal Lisa Schreiner. "Our hope is that students take away from this a real knowledge of what it means to serve and how much is done to protect us."17350392
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?