LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A local Red Cross volunteer is headed to Hawaii to help with sheltering efforts after a tropical storm swept through the area.
The tropical storm in Hawaii left thousands of people without power.
After meeting all the qualifications, Red Cross volunteer,Laurie Deflorian of Coon Valley, will be working over there for three weeks.
Deflorian said she does it because she cares.
"We need to be here for each other and that's what the Red Cross is about is taking care of each other and that's what I like to do. I like to take care of people and that's what I'm going to do for the next three weeks and I'm really excited," said Deflorian.
This will be Deflorian's eighth deployment.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore