LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A local Red Cross volunteer is headed to Hawaii to help with sheltering efforts after a tropical storm swept through the area.
The tropical storm in Hawaii left thousands of people without power.
After meeting all the qualifications, Red Cross volunteer,Laurie Deflorian of Coon Valley, will be working over there for three weeks.
Deflorian said she does it because she cares.
"We need to be here for each other and that's what the Red Cross is about is taking care of each other and that's what I like to do. I like to take care of people and that's what I'm going to do for the next three weeks and I'm really excited," said Deflorian.
This will be Deflorian's eighth deployment.
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- La Crosse rally supports transgender youth
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Officers go 'wild' in support of Special Olympics
- Family Fest returns to La Crosse Center this weekend
- Vikings' stadium board at full strength after resignations
- Storm misses Birkie course, race canceled
- Judges express skepticism over claims in voting cases