LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - A Local Red Cross volunteer is heading to Illinois to help tornado victims.
Shirley Stinson is joining several other volunteers from Wisconsin to help with recovery efforts. They will help get people basics like food, shelter, and clothing. They will also help them get the resources to help start the recovery process.
Right now, there are 19 Red Cross shelters helping about 100 people.
The local Red Cross director says the two week trip will not only help victims, but it will be valuable learning experience. "The volunteer, she goes down there, she'll be helping those people start their recovery, getting them the resources they need, but then when she comes back, she brings that experience here locally to help our community be more resilient," said Regional Director Kyle Kriegl.
To find out more information on how to donate to the Red Cross or even volunteer, you can visit their website at www.redcross.org.23104424
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments
- Kayaker found in river near Winona identified
- Democrat Kind not ruling out run for governor against Walker
- Wisconsin lawmakers ditch plans to end daylight saving time
- JJ Watt donates $10K to fund for family in Hwy. 30 wreck
- Area hotel damaged after bizare car crash