LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - A Local Red Cross volunteer is heading to Illinois to help tornado victims.
Shirley Stinson is joining several other volunteers from Wisconsin to help with recovery efforts. They will help get people basics like food, shelter, and clothing. They will also help them get the resources to help start the recovery process.
Right now, there are 19 Red Cross shelters helping about 100 people.
The local Red Cross director says the two week trip will not only help victims, but it will be valuable learning experience. "The volunteer, she goes down there, she'll be helping those people start their recovery, getting them the resources they need, but then when she comes back, she brings that experience here locally to help our community be more resilient," said Regional Director Kyle Kriegl.
To find out more information on how to donate to the Red Cross or even volunteer, you can visit their website at www.redcross.org.23104424
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners