LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - Local people and businesses dedicated to giving back to our community were honored Friday. It was part of National Philanthropy Day.
Dr. Tom Thompson and his wife Jean were recognized for their volunteer work.
Marjorie and Charlie Collins have been giving back to the community for 65 years, and Alyson and Ashley LaRue are being called outstanding youths in philanthropy. Festival foods was also honored as a philanthropic organization.
Organizers say it's important to recognize their hard work and encourage other people to give back to their community. "I think it starts with people's passions and what truly motivates them in their heart and I think it also starts with people wanting to make their communities the best they can be and support the people in them," said Megan Sadowski of the local Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the group that handed out the awards.22998896
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks