LA CROSSE, Wis. - A local man is using his talent to brighten the day of others fighting cancer.
Gerhard Nicklaus enjoys making pillowcases in his spare time.
His brother stuffed some pillows so Gerhard could put the cases on, and Thursday they donated the 11 pillows to people going through chemotherapy at Gundersen.
"He makes the pillowcases and enjoys making them and we talked one day and I said what if you gave some of those pillows away to people who might appreciate them, and he's all for it," said Gerhard's brother Fred.
"If there is something that can be done to put a smile on their face while having to face one of the most difficult things they've ever had to go through, then that's what we pride ourselves in," said Gundersen Health System Social Worker Janette Dawson.
It takes Gerhard about a week to make each pillowcase.
The social worker says they are always looking for donations to give to the patients.20186224
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest