LA CROSSE, Wis. - A local man is using his talent to brighten the day of others fighting cancer.
Gerhard Nicklaus enjoys making pillowcases in his spare time.
His brother stuffed some pillows so Gerhard could put the cases on, and Thursday they donated the 11 pillows to people going through chemotherapy at Gundersen.
"He makes the pillowcases and enjoys making them and we talked one day and I said what if you gave some of those pillows away to people who might appreciate them, and he's all for it," said Gerhard's brother Fred.
"If there is something that can be done to put a smile on their face while having to face one of the most difficult things they've ever had to go through, then that's what we pride ourselves in," said Gundersen Health System Social Worker Janette Dawson.
It takes Gerhard about a week to make each pillowcase.
The social worker says they are always looking for donations to give to the patients.20186224
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse