LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Our bitterly cold winter is taking its toll on area greenhouses.
The co-owner of Bittersweet Floral in La Crosse says heating bills started racking up in early December and have topped $10,000 a month. That's a 30% increase from last year.
This long, cold winter is also causing plants to freeze when they come and go from the greenhouses. "They've gotta cover the plants as they take them off the trucks, and even with covers, bags, plastic, even the air, it's just too intense and the leaves freeze," said Bittersweet co-owner Don Ritter.
He also says while some suppliers have raised prices on their plants, they haven't had to yet.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks