WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - Lakeview Health Center is preparing to move in to a brand-new campus in West Salem.
The health center held an open house for its new group of buildings on Monday. The new campus will completely replace the old building, which was built in the 1970s as an institutional facility.
As treatment for mental illness changed over the years, so did Lakeview's building needs.
Administrator Wanda Plachecki says the new facility better fits the style of care they now provide.
"We provide what's called 'person-centered care' in a household model," said Plachecki. "It's hard to do that when you're walking down a long hallway and have people milling around in large environments that really aren't like home."
Residents at Lakeview will begin moving into the new facility next week.
- The Latest: Teens in Wisconsin plane crash identified
- Wisconsin seeks to be first to drug test Medicaid applicants
- Minneapolis plastic bag ban could be blocked
- Fiserv CEO top paid executive in Wisconsin
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Top paid CEO in Minnesota is in health care industry
- Trump schedules Iowa visit _ his first as president
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park