LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Members of the La Crosse Rotary After Hours will travel to Patewo, Uganda in August to provide school supplies and sporting equipment for three new classrooms.
The money raised at the Ugly Sweater 5K in December 2013 and other donations will help finance the construction of three new classrooms. A Rotary District grant and collaboration with Onalaska Christ Church make posible supplying resources for the classrooms, like bikes, textbooks and desks.
The Patewo Primary School currently has four classrooms for seven grades, housing 700 students and nine teachers, Rotary After Hours member and project manager Laura Hundt said. Once the project is complete, each grade will have its own classroom.
Construction will begin on September 1. The project is expected to be complete at the end of February 2015.
Hundt said Rotary After Hours will evaluate and determine potential future projects to fund with money raised from future Ugly Sweater 5Ks.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017