LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Members of the La Crosse Rotary After Hours will travel to Patewo, Uganda in August to provide school supplies and sporting equipment for three new classrooms.
The money raised at the Ugly Sweater 5K in December 2013 and other donations will help finance the construction of three new classrooms. A Rotary District grant and collaboration with Onalaska Christ Church make posible supplying resources for the classrooms, like bikes, textbooks and desks.
The Patewo Primary School currently has four classrooms for seven grades, housing 700 students and nine teachers, Rotary After Hours member and project manager Laura Hundt said. Once the project is complete, each grade will have its own classroom.
Construction will begin on September 1. The project is expected to be complete at the end of February 2015.
Hundt said Rotary After Hours will evaluate and determine potential future projects to fund with money raised from future Ugly Sweater 5Ks.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse