LA CROSSE, Wis. - Some area students have been working towards becoming globally aware citizens.
Dozens of La Crosse middle schoolers presented research Friday on a number of global issues. They're projects they've been working on for a couple of months now.
Presentations included topics like poverty, African warlords, and fair trade farmers.19741826
Overall, there are 11 teams who competed to bring awareness to issues outside of the city. "It's important to show that we can try to make a difference, even in little ways, and also letting others know so they can also make a difference," said Coulee Montessori 8th grader Gabrielle Koehne.
Students competed for cash prizes that will help their school and the cause they researched.
The money comes courtesy of the La Crosse Community Foundation.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race