LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Students in the La Crosse School District got a reality check in balancing a budget.
Finance and economic students took part Tuesday in the district's "Reality Store" at Logan High School.
The event gives students hands-on experience in making and balancing a budget as an adult.
Students pick an occupation and use the income they would make to prepare an annual budget. They then visit booths and vendors that require them to pay the bills.
Although the day is about budgeting, students say it taught them much more. "I think that it prepares students a lot before they go out to the real world. So I think it definitely gives you perspective on what life's going to be like," said student Akaya Jereczek.
More than 250 students took part in the event.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore