LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Students in the La Crosse School District got a reality check in balancing a budget.
Finance and economic students took part Tuesday in the district's "Reality Store" at Logan High School.
The event gives students hands-on experience in making and balancing a budget as an adult.
Students pick an occupation and use the income they would make to prepare an annual budget. They then visit booths and vendors that require them to pay the bills.
Although the day is about budgeting, students say it taught them much more. "I think that it prepares students a lot before they go out to the real world. So I think it definitely gives you perspective on what life's going to be like," said student Akaya Jereczek.
More than 250 students took part in the event.
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments
- Kayaker found in river near Winona identified
- Democrat Kind not ruling out run for governor against Walker
- Wisconsin lawmakers ditch plans to end daylight saving time
- JJ Watt donates $10K to fund for family in Hwy. 30 wreck
- Area hotel damaged after bizarre car crash