LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Students in the La Crosse School District got a reality check in balancing a budget.
Finance and economic students took part Tuesday in the district's "Reality Store" at Logan High School.
The event gives students hands-on experience in making and balancing a budget as an adult.
Students pick an occupation and use the income they would make to prepare an annual budget. They then visit booths and vendors that require them to pay the bills.
Although the day is about budgeting, students say it taught them much more. "I think that it prepares students a lot before they go out to the real world. So I think it definitely gives you perspective on what life's going to be like," said student Akaya Jereczek.
More than 250 students took part in the event.
- Washout impacting Highway 82 bridge traffic
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- 3 injured in Memorial Day parade mishap in Elm Grove
- Authorities: Girl hurt in 60-foot fall at Iowa state park
- Iowa preschool teacher donating kidney to student's father
- Counselors on hand at Burlington High after 3 deaths
- Firefighters unable to find man spotted in Des Moines River
- Milwaukee man accused of killing wife, injuring their son
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold