LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Everyone was in on a surprise for a La Crosse elementary school counselor Friday.
The students at Northside Elementary cheered as Melani Fay learned she is the Wisconsin School Counselor Association's Counselor of the Year. It was announced during the school's annual holiday sing along.
Students presented her with a star and a paper chain with a link made by each student.
Miss Fay is a longtime counselor in the district and is known for her anti-bullying curriculum called Giraffe Talk. "Giraffes are the kindest animal in the world, they have the largest heart of all land mammals and their long neck and ears and eyes up high help them to make good choices," said Fay.
Miss Fay will formally receive her award at a conference in February.23600760
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016