LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Some big names are putting the spotlight on the need for senior meals in our community.
La Crosse's Mayor Tim Kabat helped deliver Meals on Wheels Thursday.
Everyday, 250 meals are delivered to senior citizens throughout the county. Another 250 are also served at meal sites.
The mayor says what he's doing is a small piece in raising awareness to stop seniors from going hungry. "I'm happy to just help deliver this one day, but obviously that goes on all year round," said Kabat.
"It keeps the seniors in their home longer, it keeps the healthcare cost down, it's just a really great service. It's a daily check on many of the seniors," said La Crosse Co. Aging Unit Nutrition Site Coordinator Dawn Jorstad.
Onalaska Mayor Joe Chilsen was also out delivering meals Thursday.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather