LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Some big names are putting the spotlight on the need for senior meals in our community.
La Crosse's Mayor Tim Kabat helped deliver Meals on Wheels Thursday.
Everyday, 250 meals are delivered to senior citizens throughout the county. Another 250 are also served at meal sites.
The mayor says what he's doing is a small piece in raising awareness to stop seniors from going hungry. "I'm happy to just help deliver this one day, but obviously that goes on all year round," said Kabat.
"It keeps the seniors in their home longer, it keeps the healthcare cost down, it's just a really great service. It's a daily check on many of the seniors," said La Crosse Co. Aging Unit Nutrition Site Coordinator Dawn Jorstad.
Onalaska Mayor Joe Chilsen was also out delivering meals Thursday.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death