LA CROSSE, Wis. (AP) - A La Crosse man committed to a mental health institution after stabbing a police officer in 2006 is petitioning for his release.
It's the sixth time 30-year-old Joseph Smith has asked to be released from the Mendota Mental Health Institute in Madison. Smith will undergo psychiatric evaluations which will be presented at a hearing in La Crosse County Circuit Court at a later date.
Smith attacked Officer Jon Wegner with a screwdriver during a traffic stop. Smith was shot twice. The La Crosse Tribune says Smith was released from Mendota in 2010 but sent back after four months. He attacked a psychiatric technician following his return.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure