LA CROSSE, Wis. (AP) - A La Crosse man committed to a mental health institution after stabbing a police officer in 2006 is petitioning for his release.
It's the sixth time 30-year-old Joseph Smith has asked to be released from the Mendota Mental Health Institute in Madison. Smith will undergo psychiatric evaluations which will be presented at a hearing in La Crosse County Circuit Court at a later date.
Smith attacked Officer Jon Wegner with a screwdriver during a traffic stop. Smith was shot twice. The La Crosse Tribune says Smith was released from Mendota in 2010 but sent back after four months. He attacked a psychiatric technician following his return.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser