LA CROSSE, Wis.-- The La Crosse Loggers and Gundersen Lutheran are teaming up to prevent one of the deadliest forms of cancer. The two organizations are working to "strike out" colon cancer.15769132
Before Thursday night's game at the lumberyard, survivors shared their stories and you could walk through a life-size colon.
For a pair of friends at the event, it was one of their experiences with the cancer that helped save the other's life. "She just started asking me how I knew that maybe something was wrong and how I possibly had an issue, and she was quizzing me on my symptoms and things like that, and come to find out she was experiencing similar issues," said Karen Fries. "She saved my life," said Sue Knudson.
Screening for colorectal cancer should start when you're 50 years old at the latest. People at higher risk of developing the disease should being screening at a younger age.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers