LA CROSSE, Wis.-- The La Crosse Loggers and Gundersen Lutheran are teaming up to prevent one of the deadliest forms of cancer. The two organizations are working to "strike out" colon cancer.15769132
Before Thursday night's game at the lumberyard, survivors shared their stories and you could walk through a life-size colon.
For a pair of friends at the event, it was one of their experiences with the cancer that helped save the other's life. "She just started asking me how I knew that maybe something was wrong and how I possibly had an issue, and she was quizzing me on my symptoms and things like that, and come to find out she was experiencing similar issues," said Karen Fries. "She saved my life," said Sue Knudson.
Screening for colorectal cancer should start when you're 50 years old at the latest. People at higher risk of developing the disease should being screening at a younger age.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests