LA CROSSE, Wis. - It has been two years since having a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home became law in Wisconsin, and local emergency personnel say it seems to be serving its purpose.
The La Crosse Fire Department says the number of carbon monoxide calls has gone down in the last two years since the law took effect.
The law requires all two-unit homes to install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of the house.
The Division Chief says one of the main benefits of the law is simply helping the public become more aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
"I would consider it a success because any time you can educate the public about the effects of carbon monoxide and what it can do to you. We call it the silent killer. Oftentimes people with the affects of carbon monoxide. they'll have flu like symptoms," says Tom Wallerich, the Division Chief of the La Crosse Fire Department.
He recommends having your appliances that are fueled by natural gas checked regularly.
Wallerich also says it's important to replace batteries in your carbon monoxide detector twice a year.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building