LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Fire Department has been busy keeping our community safe. Last year, it responded to more than 5,000 calls for assistance.
To further protect the community, the department is sending out a monthly safety message.
Every month will feature a new topic. This month's is emergency vehicle safety.
The department says it starts with people pulling over to make sure the trucks have enough room to get to where they're going. "20-30 tons coming at you, you want to make sure. It's hard for us to stop, we're full of water, we're heavy equipment, we need to make sure we have room to maneuver," said Lt. Lance Tryggestad.
The new message will come out the first Monday of every month.
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser