MILWAUKEE, Wis. -- La Crosse attorney Brent Smith has been elected the new president of the UW Board of Regents.
The board elected Smith on Friday at their meeting in Milwaukee.
Smith, a Regent since 2004, has been board vice president for the past year. An attorney with Johns, Flaherty and Collins in La Crosse, Smith has chaired the Board's Business, Finance, and Audit Committee, and recently chaired the Legislature's Special Task Force on UW Restructuring and Operational Flexibilities.
Smith has served on the State Public Defender Board and the Wisconsin Federal Nominating Commission for Federal Judges. Smith has been president of the La Crosse Center Board since 1993 and serves as a member of the Gundersen Lutheran Health Plan Board of Directors.
Smith is also on the UW-La Crosse Chancellor's Community Council and the executive board of the La Crosse Loggers baseball team. He is past president of the Wisconsin Technical College Board. He received his bachelor's and law degrees from UW-Madison.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants
- Minnesota residents help homeless man
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm