MILWAUKEE, Wis. -- La Crosse attorney Brent Smith has been elected the new president of the UW Board of Regents.
The board elected Smith on Friday at their meeting in Milwaukee.
Smith, a Regent since 2004, has been board vice president for the past year. An attorney with Johns, Flaherty and Collins in La Crosse, Smith has chaired the Board's Business, Finance, and Audit Committee, and recently chaired the Legislature's Special Task Force on UW Restructuring and Operational Flexibilities.
Smith has served on the State Public Defender Board and the Wisconsin Federal Nominating Commission for Federal Judges. Smith has been president of the La Crosse Center Board since 1993 and serves as a member of the Gundersen Lutheran Health Plan Board of Directors.
Smith is also on the UW-La Crosse Chancellor's Community Council and the executive board of the La Crosse Loggers baseball team. He is past president of the Wisconsin Technical College Board. He received his bachelor's and law degrees from UW-Madison.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race