MILWAUKEE (AP) - Thousands of people are expected to gather in Horicon this weekend to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the John Deere lawn-and-garden tractor.
The model 110 tractor was first made at John Deere Corp.'s Horicon Works factory in 1963.
It is a miniature version of a regular tractor, with attachments that include a plow for planting.
The company made 1,000 of the smaller tractors the first year as a way to test the market. In 2010, the plant made its 5 millionth garden tractor.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports the weekend celebration will include factory tours, garden tractor displays, a daily tractor parade at noon and a swap meet.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest