LA CROSSE, Wis. - Jennifer Livingston, WKBT News 8 This Morning Anchor, was so shocked by the cruelty of a letter she received from a viewer, Kenneth W. Krause, about her weight that she took to the air to respond.
Jennifer says she tried to laugh off a viewer's letter, which read in part, "Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain."
But after her husband, Mike Thompson, WKBT 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Anchor, posted the letter on his Facebook page and received an overwhelming response supporting Jennifer, she addressed the issue on the air.
In a frank editorial, she acknowledged that she is overweight, but she knows that from looking in the mirror, not because she received a letter to bringing it to her attention -- and pointed out her character is made up of a lot more than the numbers she sees on the scale. She also encouraged the community to rise above people who bully others and teach their children "to be kind, not critical, and we need to do that by example."16832416
Krause responded to Jennifer's video with this statement, "Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept."
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016