LA CROSSE, Wis. - Jennifer Livingston, WKBT News 8 This Morning Anchor, was so shocked by the cruelty of a letter she received from a viewer, Kenneth W. Krause, about her weight that she took to the air to respond.
Jennifer says she tried to laugh off a viewer's letter, which read in part, "Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain."
But after her husband, Mike Thompson, WKBT 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Anchor, posted the letter on his Facebook page and received an overwhelming response supporting Jennifer, she addressed the issue on the air.
In a frank editorial, she acknowledged that she is overweight, but she knows that from looking in the mirror, not because she received a letter to bringing it to her attention -- and pointed out her character is made up of a lot more than the numbers she sees on the scale. She also encouraged the community to rise above people who bully others and teach their children "to be kind, not critical, and we need to do that by example."16832416
Krause responded to Jennifer's video with this statement, "Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept."
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- La Crosse Children's Museum celebrates 18 years
- Lawmakers push bill to address dropped rural cellphone calls