MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) - The Wisconsin Assembly passed a bill Thursday night that would save the city of La Crosse thousands of dollars a year.
State Representative Jill Billings introduced the Inmate Transfer Bill after meeting with La Crosse Police and the county sheriff's department about the increasing cost of housing municipal prisoners.
Last year, La Crosse county increased its fee from $55 a day to $90 a day per prisoner.
The bill will allow La Crosse to enter into agreements with neighboring counties or even states to house its municipal prisoners.
The bill will cut costs by at least 25%.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death