MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) - The Wisconsin Assembly passed a bill Thursday night that would save the city of La Crosse thousands of dollars a year.
State Representative Jill Billings introduced the Inmate Transfer Bill after meeting with La Crosse Police and the county sheriff's department about the increasing cost of housing municipal prisoners.
Last year, La Crosse county increased its fee from $55 a day to $90 a day per prisoner.
The bill will allow La Crosse to enter into agreements with neighboring counties or even states to house its municipal prisoners.
The bill will cut costs by at least 25%.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US