LA CROSSE, Wis. - With the fresh layer of snow that fell in the La Crosse area, homeowners should keep an eye on the top of their homes.
Roofers are seeing a lot of ice dams on homes in the area. That's when snow from the top of the roof melts and then freezes in the gutters.
Ice dams can back up under your shingles and cause leaks in your roof.19200890
Roofers say you can avoid them by having proper ventilation in your attic, and good insulation so the snow doesn't melt.
You can also remove snow from your roof, but they say it's best to go all the way to the peak. "If you don't, you still have the snow above the hot space on your house melting and coming down. You see a lot of people that just rake off the sofet area, it helps but you're not taking care of the main problem which is the snow that's actually melting from the hot space," said Alex Koonce from Ledegar Roofing.
Koonce says if you do have a serious ice dam on your roof, it's a good idea to call a professional to get it removed.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial