LA CROSSE, Wis. - With the fresh layer of snow that fell in the La Crosse area, homeowners should keep an eye on the top of their homes.
Roofers are seeing a lot of ice dams on homes in the area. That's when snow from the top of the roof melts and then freezes in the gutters.
Ice dams can back up under your shingles and cause leaks in your roof.19200890
Roofers say you can avoid them by having proper ventilation in your attic, and good insulation so the snow doesn't melt.
You can also remove snow from your roof, but they say it's best to go all the way to the peak. "If you don't, you still have the snow above the hot space on your house melting and coming down. You see a lot of people that just rake off the sofet area, it helps but you're not taking care of the main problem which is the snow that's actually melting from the hot space," said Alex Koonce from Ledegar Roofing.
Koonce says if you do have a serious ice dam on your roof, it's a good idea to call a professional to get it removed.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather