MILWAUKEE (AP) - The husband of a pregnant Milwaukee woman who was killed and disemboweled last year says he told his wife he loved her on the day she disappeared.
Christian Mercado testified Wednesday in the trial of Annette Morales-Rodriguez. She's accused of killing Maritza Ramirez-Cruz last year and trying to steal her full-term fetus in hopes of passing him off as her own.
Through a translator, Mercado told the jury he kissed Ramirez-Cruz that morning and said he loved her. Then he went to work.
He says he called his wife and talked a few hours later. When he called a second time, she didn't answer. He says he got chest pains and left work to look for her but never saw her alive again.
The trial is scheduled to end Friday.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion