LA CROSSE, Wis. (AP) - Wisconsin can expect at least one more day of hot and steamy weather before seeing some relief.
Temperatures rose into the 90s across Wisconsin on Thursday. Milwaukee, Eau Claire and Menomonie reached 94, Waupaca hit 96 and La Crosse was at 97 by late afternoon.
The National Weather Service says heat index readings were near 100.
Rock County in southern Wisconsin opened several cooling centers so residents could find a place to beat the heat.
Forecasters expect a chance of rain to spread as far south as southern Wisconsin by late Thursday. But the heat and humidity will continue into Friday.
Highs will range from the low to mid 80s in northwestern Wisconsin to the low 90s in the south.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure