Wisconsin News

Health officials urge you to test your home for Radon

LA CROSSE, Wis. - La Crosse Co. health officials are encouraging people to test their homes for a potentially dangerous chemical.

Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer for non-smokers and kills 21,000 Americans each year.

It's an invisible and odorless gas that can seep into your home from the surrounding soil. Once inside, it breaks down into elements that can lead to the disease.

That's why health experts say its important to have your home tested and re-tested any time you make a structural change.


"After thousands of tests done in La Crosse Co., we found about 20-30% of homes are affected," said Jim Steinhoff from the La Crosse Co. Health Department.

The short-term test kit costs $6 and is provided by the county at the health department, the Onalaska Public Library, and the public library in West Salem.

Top Videos

Latest News

This Week's Circulars