MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- - As the East Coast deals with a massive snowstorm, Wisconsinites who embrace winter sports are grateful for just enough snow to enjoy the outdoors.
State tourism officials say many areas of the state have good or excellent conditions for skiing, sledding, snowboarding and snowmobiling. The recent snowfall this week added inches to trails and sledding hills.
The Department of Natural Resources says snowmobile trails are groomed and in good to excellent condition across northern counties and through much of central Wisconsin. Trails are good to poor father south.
The big event of the week is the opening of the 2013 sturgeon spearing season which opens Saturday morning on Lake Winnebago, Lake Butte des Morts and Lake Poygan. The season runs for 16 days, or until harvest caps are reached.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership