ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says Lock and Dam 8 near Genoa, Wis., will reopen a week later than scheduled.
The facility originally was scheduled to reopen March 10, but the reopening has been pushed back to March 17.
The Corps says thick ice indicates navigation on the Upper Mississippi River won't begin soon. So work crews will have more time to completed scheduled maintenance on the lock and dam.
Lock and Dam 8 was closed for renovation and maintenance on Dec. 2. During the closure the lock is drained of water. Scheduled maintenance includes repairing concrete; repairing, sandblasting and painting the miter gates; and replacing the bubbler system that prevents the gates from freezing in cold weather.
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Rochester might oust 200 students over vaccine requirements
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Trespass charges for man living in hospital closet
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Dayton blasts Trump's transgender bathroom reversal