ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says Lock and Dam 8 near Genoa, Wis., will reopen a week later than scheduled.
The facility originally was scheduled to reopen March 10, but the reopening has been pushed back to March 17.
The Corps says thick ice indicates navigation on the Upper Mississippi River won't begin soon. So work crews will have more time to completed scheduled maintenance on the lock and dam.
Lock and Dam 8 was closed for renovation and maintenance on Dec. 2. During the closure the lock is drained of water. Scheduled maintenance includes repairing concrete; repairing, sandblasting and painting the miter gates; and replacing the bubbler system that prevents the gates from freezing in cold weather.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable