TOWN OF CAMPBELL, WI - A local volunteer firefighter is looking to get some help for medical bills after an accident on the water.
On June 30, Lucas Herro, 22, was on the Black River with some friends and dove into shallow water. He broke his neck and injured his spinal cord and was paralyzed from the chest down.
Luacs had been working as a volunteer firefighter in the Town of Campbell for about a year.
Through intense rehab, he's had some movement return to his shoulders, elbow and wrist. Doctors say it can get better, but as you can imagine, the costs of treatment and remodeling his home is becoming a burden on him and his family.
He says he's very thankful that Our Corner Bar, where he used to work, is putting on a fundraiser.
"The support and the way people come together when this happens is just absolutely unbelievable, so I really appreciate it," Herro said.
The fundraiser is Saturday at Our Corner Bar on George Street in La Crosse. It starts at1 p.m. Live music starts at 7 p.m.22508286
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting