MILWAUKEE (AP) - A fugitive managed to escape a large contingency of Milwaukee police officers and federal marshals by scaling the balconies of a downtown high-rise apartment building.
About a dozen deputy marshals and several dozen police officers descended on the Juneau Village Towers Tuesday evening on a tip the armed robbery suspect on bail for federal drug charges was in a seventh-floor apartment.
Police say Jonny Lopez escaped and scaled balconies down to the third floor. Police say he somehow made his way back into the building, which prompted a search that lasted five hours.
Apartment residents were screened as they entered and exited the building. Lopez was not located.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening