VIROQUA, Wis. -- The former La Farge police chief faces charges for allegedly stealing a fishing boat.
Al Walker is accused of stealing the 14-foot flat-bottom fishing boat and motor Wednesday from a storage facility in Stoddard.
The Vernon County Sheriff's Department says a witness saw someone remove a boat late Sunday afternoon, and then return Wednesday. The witness followed the vehicle, wrote down the license plate number and reported it to deputies.
Investigators went to Walker's home in Viroqua and found the missing boat and motor. The boat had been stripped, including the registration numbers, and was prepped for a fresh coat of paint.
Walker appeared in court Thursday on one felony count of theft. He was released on a $1,000 signature bond.
Walker was police chief in La Farge from February 1989 to his retirement in April 2009.
- Poll shows lack of support of higher taxes for roads
- Poll shows most Wisconsinites oppose repealing health law
- Democrat Vinehout registers to run for governor
- Trump's approval rating worsens in Wisconsin
- Man who died during armed robbery identified
- Gov. Walker announces campaign to promote veteran-owned businesses
- Witnesses heard engine backfire before Wisconsin plane crash
- Shop owners, police stress firework safety and legality
- Walker approval rating at highest level since October 2014
- Fireworks Recalled due to burn and injury hazards