VIROQUA, Wis. -- The former La Farge police chief faces charges for allegedly stealing a fishing boat.
Al Walker is accused of stealing the 14-foot flat-bottom fishing boat and motor Wednesday from a storage facility in Stoddard.
The Vernon County Sheriff's Department says a witness saw someone remove a boat late Sunday afternoon, and then return Wednesday. The witness followed the vehicle, wrote down the license plate number and reported it to deputies.
Investigators went to Walker's home in Viroqua and found the missing boat and motor. The boat had been stripped, including the registration numbers, and was prepped for a fresh coat of paint.
Walker appeared in court Thursday on one felony count of theft. He was released on a $1,000 signature bond.
Walker was police chief in La Farge from February 1989 to his retirement in April 2009.
- La Crosse man arrested for armed robbery, police looking for another
- Neighborhood revitalization projects in full swing this year
- Local fire departments work to hire, retain firefighters
- Man wanted for retail theft leads area authorities on high speed chase
- Poll finds no consensus on Wisconsin roads funding
- Drug and alcohol prevention program expanding to local schools
- Onalaska hires new City Administrator
- Wisconsin fugitive convicted of kidnapping Michigan student
- Police: 2 critically hurt in Wisconsin shooting
- Majority of Wisconsin voters want to keep health care law