LA CROSSE, Wis. - A former chief accountant for the U.S. makes a stop in La Crosse to address the remaining pitfalls from the fiscal cliff.
David Walker worked with Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush's administrations.
At a presentation in La Crosse Thursday night, he will outline his plan for Washington lawmakers to come up with a Grand Bargain.
That consists of imposing budget controls, changing Medicare, reducing spending, and tax reforms over the next few years.18277380
Walker says one of the biggest factors in controlling our nation's finances is passing a budget.
Congress hasn't passed a budget in four years and Walker believes this will set the table for the grand bargain.
"The more you put on the table the better, because republicans are going to have to give on taxes and democrats are going to have to give on social insurance reforms, and the only way you're going to get both is if you do it in conjunction with each other," Walker said.
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2017
- Oktoberfest officials move Festmaster's Ball to August
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting