FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) - A Fond du Lac professor will help study the rising suicide rate among U.S. Marines.
Janet McCord is an associate professor of thanatology in Marian University's School of Nursing and Health Professions. She has been trained by the American Association of Suicidology to study the psychological aspect of suicide.
The Journal Sentinel says the researchers will interview relatives and friends of active-duty Marines who died by suicide between 2010 and 2012. Last year 48 active duty Marines died by suicide, including six suspected suicides that have yet to be confirmed.
Other branches of the military have also experienced a recent increase in suicides. The Army Study to Assess Risk and Resilience in Servicemembers is collecting information on Army suicides.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather