FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) - A Fond du Lac professor will help study the rising suicide rate among U.S. Marines.
Janet McCord is an associate professor of thanatology in Marian University's School of Nursing and Health Professions. She has been trained by the American Association of Suicidology to study the psychological aspect of suicide.
The Journal Sentinel says the researchers will interview relatives and friends of active-duty Marines who died by suicide between 2010 and 2012. Last year 48 active duty Marines died by suicide, including six suspected suicides that have yet to be confirmed.
Other branches of the military have also experienced a recent increase in suicides. The Army Study to Assess Risk and Resilience in Servicemembers is collecting information on Army suicides.
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser