MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A Fitchburg man has died after being beaten with a baseball bat in Mount Horeb.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office says 20-year-old Ryan M. Smith died Saturday morning at UW Hospital. Smith suffered skull fractures and lung injuries in the beating early last Tuesday. Authorities have said drugs may have played a role in the violence.
Authorities are holding an 18-year-old man on suspicion of attempted first-degree intentional homicide. His bail was set Friday at $1 million, but Assistant District Attorney Rachel Sattler delayed formally charging him Friday, saying the charge likely would be upgraded to homicide.
The suspect has claimed self-defense, and has another hearing set for this coming Tuesday.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls