LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Firefighters are warning about the dangers of using space heaters.
The National Fire Protection Association says space heaters make up one-third of all home heating fires in the U.S. There's already been one in our area this winter in Coon Valley.
Firefighters say it's best to plug it directly into the wall, keep it three feet away from all combustibles, and turn it off when you go to bed. "Shut your space heaters off, add some more blankets to your bed, cause when those things are unattended we don't have an eye on them, if we have something that goes wrong, that's when we have some problems," said Div. Chief Craig Snyder with the La Crosse Fire Department.
It's also recommended you have a device that automatically turns off if tipped over.24148806
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership