LA CROSSE, Wis. - No one was hurt after a dryer caught fire at a nursing home on La Crosse's south side.
The fire started just after 4:30 Thursday afternoon at St. Joseph's Rehab Center on the 2900 block of East Ave. South.
About 70 residents had to be evacuated to other parts of the building.
Investigators still aren't sure what caused the fire, but say it could've been worse. "Very, very fortunate that we had that sprinkler head that activated right above the dryer, it helped contain the fire for us until we could get in there and put it out further," said Division Chief Mark Amann.19234556
Firefighters had to put out a few small fires and tear out some ductwork.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion