LA CROSSE, Wis. - No one was hurt after a dryer caught fire at a nursing home on La Crosse's south side.
The fire started just after 4:30 Thursday afternoon at St. Joseph's Rehab Center on the 2900 block of East Ave. South.
About 70 residents had to be evacuated to other parts of the building.
Investigators still aren't sure what caused the fire, but say it could've been worse. "Very, very fortunate that we had that sprinkler head that activated right above the dryer, it helped contain the fire for us until we could get in there and put it out further," said Division Chief Mark Amann.19234556
Firefighters had to put out a few small fires and tear out some ductwork.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance