LA CROSSE, WI - Fayze's staff say they will be open for business Monday morning despite an early morning fire in the restaurant's basement.
At about 12:30 a.m. Sunday La Crosse firefighters received a call about a fire at Fayze's restaurant in downtown La Crosse.
When crews arrived they found smoke in the building and discovered a fire in the basement using thermal imaging cameras.
The La Crosse Fire Department said they pulled up the floor in the bar area of the restaurant to start fighting the fire from the top, other firefighters went into the basement to put it out.
The La Crosse Fire Department said it was able to contain the fire to that room and neighboring businesses were not damaged, but fire officials said the restaurant still has thousands of dollars of damage.21644200
"It's going to be around $10,000 with the flooring and water damage and then the loss of the food, any of the food that was out uncovered would have to be destroyed," said La Crosse Fire Department Captain Dan Skiles.
Crews made sure all the employees at Fayze's safely evacuated the building.
They also removed everyone from the bar, Top Shots, directly above Fayze's.
La Crosse police were also on the scene to keep people from entering the area.
Fayze's owner, Drew Williams said employees are working in the bakery 24 hours a day.
He said they didn't even realize there was a fire until someone outside the building saw the smoke and called it in.
Williams said they started working on cleaning up right after the fire department put out the fire and will open on Monday.
"We're very fortunate to have a great fire department and tremendous staff that's put in more than a hundred hours just today getting this cleaned up," said Williams.
"We plan on being open tomorrow. We'll find that out this evening when the health inspector comes and makes sure we did a good job cleaning up, but we've been working hard since the fire department left," said Williams.
No one was injured and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case