LA CROSSE, WI - Oktoberfest organizers are once again offering a family-friendly place to watch the Maple Leaf Parade.
The Family Zone is being offered for the third year by the Changing The Culture of Risky Drinking Behavior Coalition.
The Zone is alcohol and tobacco free, will include bleachers to watch the parade, and will be free and open to all ages. UW-L students are also offering games for the kids before the parade starts.
The Family Zone was created after organizers heard concerns from several families in the community. "We heard from a lot of families that they were no longer coming to the parade because there wasn't a place that they could bring their kids and feel safe and they were concerned about the exposure to heavy drinking and so this really developed because of that," said Family Zone organizer Catherine Kolkmeier.
The Family Zone will be located on Copeland Ave. across from Festival Foods. It opens at 7:00 a.m.
No wristbands or tickets are required. You are free to bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages. There will also be food for sale.22105302
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests