SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) - A former Wisconsin village treasurer has been sentenced to three years in prison for stealing about $340,000 from his community.
Authorities say 56-year-old Kim Simmelink, of Sheboygan Falls, took the money from Oostburg's coffers from April 2001 to October 2003. He had served as the village's clerk and treasurer.
Sheboygan Press Media reports that Simmelink's sentence was stayed pending an appeal on whether more than two dozen embezzlement charges were within the statute of limitations.
Simmelink previously served nine months in jail for stealing a smaller sum from the village in 2005 and 2006.
Authorities discovered the earlier theft during an audit.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing