James Newman and James Misleveck were arrested at around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday in Hollywood, Florida, which is part of the Miami metro area.
The men walked away from the Black River Correctional Facility the night of July 17. After allegedly stealing a truck and shotgun in Black River Falls, they allegedly kidnapped a woman at Ho-Chunk Casino at gunpoint.
After driving around with the woman for several hours, the men let her go and stole a truck in Sparta. After a chase with police, the men ran from officers into a wooded area south of Tomah.
Newman and Misleveck were spotted in a parking ramp at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in the same black Chrysler Concorde they stole last week from Juneau Road south of Tomah.
When police tried to stop their car, the men drove away and led officers on a high-speed chase through a residential neighborhood.
The men then stopped the car and ran from officers. James Misleveck tried to climb a fence, but officers caught him before he could go over.
James Newman climbed a tree and was eventually surrounded by police. He then jumped out of the tree and tried to run again, but was taken down by a police dog.15701720
Misleveck is being held in the Broward County Jail. Newman was treated at a hospital for injuries related to his run-in with the police dog, and released to police.
A federal charge was filed against Newman and Misleveck Wednesday for being felons in possession of a shotgun. If convicted on the federal charge, they face a maximum of 10 years in federal prison.
"I'm very thankful for the successful cooperation between local, state, and federal authorities," Jackson County District Attorney Gerald Fox says. "My office will
be filing additional criminal charges."
A representative from the Monroe County District Attorney's office tells News 8 they have also received police reports and will be reviewing them for possible charges against the men.
The law enforcement agencies involved in the search for Newman and Misleveck include:
- Jackson County Sheriff's Department
- Tomah Police Department
- Sparta Police Department
- Monroe County Sheriff's Department
- Juneau County Sheriff's Department
- Wisconsin State Patrol
- Wisconsin Department of Justice
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
- Seminole (Florida) Police Department
- Broward County (Florida) Sheriff's Department
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game