LA CROSSE, Wis. - Xcel energy says more people are behind on paying their heating bill this year.
13% of customers in Wisconsin are behind on paying their bills. That's about 35,000 customers.
By law, Xcel can't cut off utilities during the winter months, but that expires April 15th and by the 16th Xcel could start cutting off service.
Xcel does work with customers to set up payment plans and get them into assistance programs if they qualify.19723714
They also recommend their budget program. "What that does is it smooths out your payments so you're not in December, January and February not getting these huge heating bills and then in the summer you have the air conditioning bills, what that does is that will keep it flatter," said Mike Herro from Xcel.
If you are behind on payments, Xcel says you should call as soon as possible to get it resolved. The customer service line is 1-800-895-4999.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure