LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The driver of a car that rear-ended a police squad car Friday night will be charged with drunken driving, according to police.
The crash happened about 10 p.m. on Lang Drive, between Monitor and La Crosse Streets. Police say an officer and reserve officer were in a squad car stopped on the side of Lang Drive when they were rear-ended by a Dodge Durango, driven by 52-year-old Dwayne Anderson. They were parked behind another vehicle that had run out of gas.
Police say the officer, reserve officer, and the driver of the Durango were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Both officers have since been released. The stranded driver was on the sidewalk during the crash and was not injured. Lang Drive was closed for several hours as police investigated the scene.
"This just shows that our officers are always in the line of danger out there," Lt. Pat Hogan said. "This was just an ordinary call where they were helping a motorist assist in their squad car and were rear-ended. So it just goes to show there's always some danger out there to this position and to this job."
Anderson will be charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and causing injury, police say.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- Wisconsin student wants sex charges dismissed
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run