BAYFIELD, Wis. (AP) - An aging dog whose restful repose in Lake Superior while in the arms of his owner captured widespread attention has died.
Schoep and owner John Unger, of Bayfield, became Internet celebrities last summer after a photographer captured the two relaxing in the soothing water. Schoep, who was arthritic, blind and hard of hearing, rested his head peacefully on Unger's shoulder.
Within four days of posting the photo on Facebook, it had 1.8 million views.
Unger said on the Facebook page he shares with Schoep that the 20-year-old dog died on Wednesday. News of the dog's death generated nearly 19,000 comments as of Friday morning.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract