BAYFIELD, Wis. (AP) - An aging dog whose restful repose in Lake Superior while in the arms of his owner captured widespread attention has died.
Schoep and owner John Unger, of Bayfield, became Internet celebrities last summer after a photographer captured the two relaxing in the soothing water. Schoep, who was arthritic, blind and hard of hearing, rested his head peacefully on Unger's shoulder.
Within four days of posting the photo on Facebook, it had 1.8 million views.
Unger said on the Facebook page he shares with Schoep that the 20-year-old dog died on Wednesday. News of the dog's death generated nearly 19,000 comments as of Friday morning.
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton says he will finish his term despite being diagnosed with prostate cancer
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- House committee approves bill that would charge protesters
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups