LA CROSSE, WI - As kids get ready to head back to school, it's important for parents to keep focusing on nutrition.
When you're packing that lunch or snack for your child, remember to think about healthy foods first.
It's good to follow the basic food groups with fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean dairy.
At home, dietitians say you can have a designated shelf in your fridge or pantry with healthy snacks that kids can choose from.
They also say it's important for parents to stay patient.21680520
"Just don't get discouraged, it takes children many different exposures to foods to be comfortable with them and to just keep having different options available and allowing them to choose," said Mayo Clinic Health System Registered Dietitian Romi Pattison.
For other good snack food ideas, you can visit the USDA's snack food website at choosemyplate.gov.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests