LA CROSSE, WI - As kids get ready to head back to school, it's important for parents to keep focusing on nutrition.
When you're packing that lunch or snack for your child, remember to think about healthy foods first.
It's good to follow the basic food groups with fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean dairy.
At home, dietitians say you can have a designated shelf in your fridge or pantry with healthy snacks that kids can choose from.
They also say it's important for parents to stay patient.21680520
"Just don't get discouraged, it takes children many different exposures to foods to be comfortable with them and to just keep having different options available and allowing them to choose," said Mayo Clinic Health System Registered Dietitian Romi Pattison.
For other good snack food ideas, you can visit the USDA's snack food website at choosemyplate.gov.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering