TOWN OF NEWARK, Wis. - Rock County deputies said they found 61 caged roosters and 16 pounds of marijuana while investigating a man suspected of breeding roosters for fighting.
A release from the Rock County Sheriff's Office stated they carried out a search warrant at 8424 West Mill Pond Road in the town of Newark on Tuesday and found 61 caged roosters and items related to breeding roosters for fighting.
The roosters were evaluated by veterinarians and determined to need immediate medical attention.
Deputies said they also found marijuana in a small, concealed crawl space in the floor of the home. They said they found 15 vacuum-sealed packages totaling 16 pounds of marijuana.
Jorge A. Marquez, 37, was arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, instigating fighting between animals and maintaining a drug trafficking house. He's scheduled to appear in court Thursday.
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton says he will finish his term despite being diagnosed with prostate cancer
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- House committee approves bill that would charge protesters
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups