MADISON, Wis. - Democratic U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin defeated Republican challenger Tommy Thompson to become Wisconsin's first woman senator and the first openly gay member of the U.S. Senate.
Baldwin will fill the Senate seat vacated by retiring senator Herb Kohl. She addressed supporters at the Monona Terrace in Madison around 11:20 p.m. Tuesday.
"I'm honored, humbled, and grateful and I'm ready to get to work," Baldwin told supporters. "I'm ready to stand with Pres. Barack Obama and ready to fight for Wisconsin's middle class."
Baldwin said Thompson called her before she spoke to supporters to wish her well.17306090
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse