MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Madison firefighter Mahlon Mitchell has defeated two opponents to win the Democratic primary for Wisconsin lieutenant governor.
With the win Tuesday, the leader of the statewide firefighters' union will now challenge Republican incumbent Rebecca Kleefisch next month.
According to unofficial results, Mitchell defeated Milwaukee private detective Ira Robins and fake Democrat Isaac Weix. Kleefisch didn't have a primary opponent.
The lieutenant governor's job carries no official duties. However, the lieutenant governor would take over if the governor dies, leaves office early or is incapacitated.12953018
Kleefisch and Republican Gov. Scott Walker are facing recall elections sparked by Walker's law that eliminated collective-bargaining rights for most public employees. The general election will be June 5.
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Nebraska, Iowa Guard troops assigned inauguration duties
- E. Iowa man charged in death of woman killed by cannon
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December