MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Candidates who want to challenge three Democratic state senators in recall elections this summer have until today to submit their nomination papers.
A state elections website says five people had registered as of Monday, but they still have to submit their final paperwork by 5 p.m. Tuesday and have it certified.
The Democrats being targeted are Sens. Jim Holperin of Conover; Dave Hansen of Green Bay; and Bob Wirch of Pleasant Prairie. If primaries are needed in any of those races they'll be held July 19 and the general election on Aug. 16.
Six Republican state senators are also being targeted for recall, for supporting Republican Gov. Scott Walker's efforts to remove collective bargaining rights from most public workers. The Democrats are being targeted for opposing those efforts.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers